The final quilt wasn't the original layout I intended (see my previous post here), because of course, I ran out of the pink on white fabric. Fortunately, my stash had a pink that worked for the alternate blocks.
Then there was the quilting decision. Since the feet and diagonals provided such a strong direction to this quilt, I was a bit stumped. Here's some of the ideas I went through
I thought of pebbles or swirls, but thought the toes would get lost. Traditional echoing made the feet look like they were stomping. Different designs in the plain blocks didn't connect with the diagonals. And designs that worked through just the diagonals made the directional aspect much more prominent (see the lower right design).
Ultimately, I went with a straight line design, changing it up at the diagonals. Here are some up close pictures
The next post will be how I stitched all those straight lines. Definitely a great technique that I will use again. Stay tuned!