So I made some more, using bigger strip pieces. When I had six blocks, I put them up on the design wall, in a random fashion. And I liked that too.
But to keep the randomness, some different shapes where needed to fill the odd areas. Made some rectangles, and the top started taking shape.
Did I consider how I was going to sew this all together? Nope.
What was I thinking???
This quilt top was not assembled in the usual fashion--make the blocks, sew them in a row, sew the rows together. No, this was, sew some white here, sew some white there, cut here, sew there. Lots of partial seams!
In this picture, I've got strips still attached because they'll be used somewhere further down the top. The whole thing was pieced by adding a block at a time.
Here's some closeups of some of the more messy piecing!
Wish this was a bit cleaner, but I'm not willing to rip it out!
This one is a bit better, but still messy.
I'm happy with how it turned out, and hey, I met my objective of using up the strip units. After two tops, this is all that's left
I'll post about the other top at a later time. It turned out really nice, and I want to write up a pattern for it.
Until then, Happy Quilting!