Friday, January 12, 2018

Improv Patchwork Update

More blocks have magically appeared, with guidance from the Improv Patchwork (affiliate link) book, and now I have a top!

Improv Patchwork quilt top after orange

Though I have a confession to make - there were minor adjustments to the top after all blocks were sewn together. Keep reading for the full story!

After the first round of sewing, the top actually looked like this:

Improv Patchwork quilt top before orange

Boring, if I do say so myself. Since it's intention is as baby quilt for one of hubby's coworkers, I figured it's fine.

Then I went hunting for a backing fabric, and found this:

hippo backing fabric for baby quilt

approximately a yard, plus pieces, in my stash. And a perfect fit for this top!

Notice the use of the blue and teal in here, plus orange and yellow. Duh!!! Wish I'd seen this first for color guidance on the top.

closeup hippo backing fabric

That's what this top is missing - should have thrown some orange in there while making the blocks. Let's take that idea for a test drive - but is it too late?

Improv Patchwork quilt top orange placement test

After playing around with a few orange squares on the top, I waffled on replacing four squares.

I really wasn't overly wild about ripping into a finished top, but, if you're like me, knowing there needs to be a bit of pop added in, one compromises. So instead of being unhappy, banishing the top to the UFO pile, or ripping the whole thing apart, I bit the bullet to replace just those four squares.

one square removed from a block

orange inserted into a quilt block

Those four were all I was willing to replace, taking maybe an hour, but at least I'm happier with the top now. It's certainly not a prize winner, but it looks better with that bit of orange.

So, now on to making the backing big enough with bits and pieces of leftovers, then I can get this quilted, and out the door. I should be showing it off next week - see you then!

Happy Quilting!

Follow on Bloglovin


  1. I like the little pop of colour it gives the quilt top character.

  2. Hi Susan!
    Oh my goodness! That one hour was really worth your time. Those little four orange squares really make the whole quilt. The navy and aqua look fabulous together, but a little boring as you mentioned. Nothing wrong with boring though!! That minor change really makes it special, and could you have found a more perfect backing? Seriously. I love it when projects come together like that, and that you were willing to take the time to make the change. Mom and baby will LOVE this quilt. ~smile~ Roseanne

  3. I know it was a PITA to rip and replace those blocks, but I think it was the right thing to do. The pop of color really puts some spice in the quilt;)

  4. Been there done that one - especially when I made my 3rd quilt and realized that one section was turned upside down!!!!! Good work!

  5. I was making some of these blocks today, using the book as a guide, and realized I needed to pop over and read your post! I like it, and although it was a PITA (as Vicki said) I think you did the right thing. Not sure where mine is going, especially because I'm working with green and purple. Hmm.

    1. Sounds like you may have to throw some orange in there too! If I'd been more thoughtful about it in the beginning, there would probably be more orange, and probably yellow in there. Maybe next time!

  6. Love the orange squares! So glad you listened to your creative voice, and made the chnages - totally worth the extra time.


Thank you so much for just made my day!