With the wild week I had, it's no wonder they got lost! But at least I took pictures, and have another tutorial to share.
This one is all about the binding. I'm not a big fan of machine stitched binding, mainly because I always struggle to catch the edge on the backside, producing a wavy stitching line. Ugly!
Now, I do like the technique of stitching the binding to the back first, then folding it to the front, which is especially nice for producing a line of piping.
But that technique was not going to work here. These place mats really needed a traditional quarter inch binding, with no piping or flange.
So I bit the bullet, stitching the binding to the front with a quarter inch seam, then pressing the binding out to create a nice, crisp edge.
Then the magic. Using a bit of water washable glue, I tacked down the binding on the backside,
pressing with a warm iron for a few seconds to make sure it would stay in place.
When I got to a corner, the fold was treated as usual and a bit of glue was applied there to make sure it stayed.
Now the binding is all evenly tacked down, and ready to be sewn.
From the front, the stitch in the ditch was fast and easy. No worrying about catching the edge!
And the backside looks great! All edges are even, and the stitching straight.
Thank goodness for glue! It sure made a hair-pulling process go smoothly. I'll be using it again for my next machine stitched binding!
Hope you find this useful for one of your next projects!